Google’s Chrome failed to keep its default configuration safe jeopardizing Windows 10 and other Microsoft's Windows OS versions endangering your identity and provoking possible credential theft by remote hackers. Users may not even notice their login is being stolen when they visit a website afflicted by a ruinous SCF file. They might not be aware of the SMB protocol and Chrome vulnerability though the trick has been already deployed before.
Such harmful software as Stuxnet has compromised systems using LNK files. SCF files operate quite the same way and are responsible for desktop icon address coding. It takes the attackers a few steps to hack the system with a quick and quiet SCF shortcut sham file:
- The file gets downloaded automatically – no user confirmation is needed.
- The file runs automatically – no need to click on it.
- The authentication is conducted automatically with the remote attacker’sSMB server (the file contains the location of the controlled remote server) that makes the credentials leak evading your grasp completely.
The issue of catching a maliciously chiseled encryption was partially solved when Microsoft banned LNK files from outside source icon loading and opted for inside servers although SCF files didn’t get secured.
Some measures should be taken to avoid Microsoft safety risks which endanger big corporations suffering informational wormholes. Such setups can be arranged by some hacker who easily succeeds in sneaking into the system as a company’s employee as well as in gaining access to tracking and manipulating other logins. There’s no need in password decryption for a number of Microsoft services since there’s no problem for an attacker to be authorized thanks to an encrypted password.
What is to be done to prevent data leak?
- Freeze outbound SMB connections (TCP ports 139 and 445) with a firewall and lock them within a local network.
- Or open Google Chrome and try the following solution: in Settings section look for the advanced settings and choose "Ask where to save each file before downloading".
- Since no one can be sure how soon an indispensable patch is going to be available the urgent measures should always be considered before it’s too late.VPN services which aim at making your system death proof might become the best guarding option. The software ensures secure encryption while keeping no metadata, which may be exposed to any interested party.