1. Can you tell us few words about yourself and your VPN service?
- Golden Frog's founders, Ron and Carolyn Yokubaitis, are Internet veterans who have owned and operated Internet businesses since the dawn of the public Internet in 1994 (before the Web!).
- Golden Frog was founded in response to Room 641a, an infamous room in San Francisco where the NSA was conducting surveillance on AT&T's networks. We filed papers with the FCC to bring this alarming activity to their attention, but were ignored. Instead of waiting around for the government to protect Internet users, our response was to found Golden Frog to build tools that help preserve an open and secure Internet experience while respecting user privacy. VyprVPN offers sleek, cutting-edge apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, TV and Router so you can secure your devices in seconds. Our apps are fast, easy-to-use and stable with time-saving features like one-click connect, one-tap server selection, and a ping test to choose the fastest server.
2. Please say few words about internet freedom in the past, present and future.
- We believe strongly in Internet freedom for all users around the world, and have been fighting for this freedom since our company's inception. Unfortunately, Internet freedom has been on the decline for the past several years, with many countries increasing their censorship and restrictions on Internet access, content and usage. There are also threats surrounding surveillance and privacy rights.
- With censorship events continuing to occur today, more companies and organizations are fighting back and speaking up against these events. Tools like VPNs are becoming more widely adopted by those looking to bypass censorship and experience a free Internet. We hope to see awareness continue to increase, and an increase in Internet freedom in coming years as well.
- You can learn more about the history of Internet freedom in our Vision Paper here.
3. Where are your company headquarters?
- Golden Frog GmbH is incorporated in Switzerland, as Switzerland's favorable privacy laws reflect our mission as a company and respect the rights of Internet users.
- Switzerland has a long history of respecting privacy and has established a legal framework to protect it. The right to privacy is guaranteed in Article 13 of the Swiss Federal Constitution. Privacy protections for online activities are provided for under Swiss Federal Data Protection Act (DPA) and the Swiss Federal Data Protection Ordinance (DPO). Unlike the data protection legislation of many other countries, the DPA protects both personal data pertaining to natural persons and legal entities.
4. What are the most significant achievements of your VPN Service?
- Golden Frog believes that advocacy is important, and we actively advocate for policies and legislation to support a private, free and open Internet experience for all. We have been extremely active in the fight for strong encryption, and have repeatedly worked with industry groups to stand up for encryption and enact reform. Golden Frog's Co-Founder Ron Yokubaitis recently received an award for Internet Community Leadership, which recognized his outstanding efforts for a free and open Internet over the years.
- We are continually involved in policy initiatives, and recently submitted an Amicus brief in the Apple v. FBI case this fall. We had a substantial impact in moving ECPA reform through the United States Congress and currently, we are fighting to amend FISA 702 as well as standing against Rule 41.
- Please take a look at this page which houses the work we do from a policy perspective to support the free and open internet.
5. What is unique about your VPN Service?
- Our approach is unique in the VPN industry - we own, engineer and manage our VPN servers so we can deliver fast and reliable connections. Other VPN providers use 3rd party companies to host their VPN servers. We don't. We are the only company who handles your data so your privacy and security are protected from end-to-end.
6. Why should customers choose your VPN Service instead of your competitors?
We engineered VyprVPN to have the highest level of speed and security for broadband Internet connections. We own the servers and manage a global network to deliver the fastest VPN speeds. We write code optimized to deliver the fastest VPN access with the highest level of security. Golden Frog is the only company that handles your data to provide the highest level of end-to-end security and performance. We have in-house network engineers with decades of experience that continually optimize our global VPN network for speed.
7. Which countries in your opinion are the best to connect to in terms of privacy protection?
- All! Since we own and maintain our entire infrastructure without the use of 3rd parties, user data is secured from end to end through an encrypted connection.
8. Which innovations/new technologies are expected in VPN sphere?
As technology continues to advance, we expect to see encryption become more ubiquitous and implemented by default in more products. To that end we have built VyprVPN SDK to enable like-minded companies to build the best in class encryption service into their platforms.
- At Golden Frog we continue to evolve and add more value for our customers including the ability to spin up your own VPN Server and utilize our applications to access.
9. Do you personally use VPN account? What for?
- Yes, I use a VPN on a daily basis. I use a VPN whenever I connect over a Wi-Fi network outside my home to ensure my connection is protected. Using a VPN on unsecured Wi-Fi allows me to stay private and secure from any location, whether I'm at the coffee shop or an airport. With a VPN, I don't have to worry about anyone snooping on me or stealing my personal information or communications while I am online.